Employment Standards Branch
The purposes of the Act are:
- To ensure that employees in BC receive at least basic standards of compensation and conditions of employment
- To promote the fair treatment of employees and employers
- To encourage open communication between employers and employees
- To provide fair and efficient procedures for resolving disputes over the application and interpretation of the Act
- To foster the development of a productive and efficient labour force that can contribute fully to the prosperity of BC
- To contribute in assisting employees to meet work and family responsibilities
Employers and employees are encouraged to be familiar with the provisions of the Employment Standards Act and Regulations and to resolve disputes between themselves when possible. After a complaint is filed, the parties are contacted and the provisions of the Act are explained. Many complaints are resolved at this stage. If not resolved, a complaint may proceed to investigation, mediation or adjudication. Resolution is encouraged at any stage of the complaint process.
The Employment Standards Branch has a series of videos and fact sheets that will help you understand its dispute resolution process.